Saturday 19 September 2009

6° of PostContemporarity

I went to a Clan of Xymox concert in Toronto in 1989.
After the show, my friend Len introduces me to two guys that he went to college with.
Obviously twins, but trying hard not to look like twins.
We start to talk and it turns out that they were the people behind a record that I had bought recently, Empirical Sleeping Consort.
One of them mentions that he would like to go back stage and say hi to the band.
“Yeah me too. They’re from Holland and so am I and I think it would be neat to say hello.”
“Hey my brother’s girlfriend is from Holland too.”
We start to chat, in Dutch and she asks me where in Holland I’m from.
“Amsterdam.”
“Yes me too. Where abouts in Amsterdam?”
“In the new south district, the river borough (all the streets were named after rivers in Holland)”
“I don’t know the neighbourhood I’m from, but I was born in and lived in the KrommeMijdrecht Straat.”
Music was playing in the club, so I wasn’t certain I had heard her right. But I got a funny tingle down my spine. “What did you say?” I asked incredulously.
“The KrommeMijdrecht Straat.”
I must have had the most stunned look on my face.
“What’s the matter?” she asked.
“This is really going to freak you out, but I was born in the KrommeMijdrecht Straat!”
“Whaaat!”
(Now this is not a street that ran the length and breadth of the city, but a one block street!)
When we explained to the English speakers around us what had just transpired, they were equally amazed.
“Do you remember the number you lived at? What year were you born in?” I asked.
“I can’t remember the street number, and I was born in 1967.”
Same year I was born in.
“What school did you go to?”
“We moved to a different city when I was three.”
We continued to talk for a while longer and exchanged addresses (which much to my chagrin, I lost shortly there after.)

About five years later I walked into my friend Jarkko’s house, and there are two twins trying hard not to look like twins sitting on his couch.
“I know you two.”
They were looking at me with one of those I remember you, but why looks. “You do?”
“Yeah. Your girlfriend was born on the same street as me!”
“I remember you!!” They both shouted in unison.
And we’ve remained friends ever since.

No comments:

Post a Comment